The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > Modified Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2007
britbeam's Avatar
britbeam britbeam is offline
Third Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sharpsburg,Georgia
Posts: 491
Default Series 1 & 2 rear shock Conversion

Im Looking at a West Midlands catalogue and they offer a rear shock conversion kit(lever shock to tube). Has anyone used this kit to accomplish the conversion?
Dwain V6 Krazy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2007
skywords's Avatar
skywords skywords is offline
Platinum Level Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marana AZ
Posts: 1,408
Default

I have not but sounds interesting. keep us posted if you try it.

Rick
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2007
Pumpkin's Avatar
Pumpkin Pumpkin is offline
Third Gear
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Clackamas, OR.
Posts: 499
Default Shocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywords View Post
I have not but sounds interesting. keep us posted if you try it.

Rick
I just saw a note on the conversion, one of the guys here had either posted it or I was wacky too.
If I find it I'll post it back , but he will probably read these lines of witt.
Chuck
__________________
Between a rock and a hard spot, an Alpine exist!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2007
JonPiz's Avatar
JonPiz JonPiz is offline
Bronze Level Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chelmsford UK
Posts: 465
Default

I have some pictures of this conversion unfortunately they are really bad photcopies so no good to post. It involves using a bottom mount same as S3 on the leaf spring. The top is a bit more involved!! Just behind the hood bin hinge, a square hole is cut in the floor about 4" square. An open box about 4" cubed is then welded over this hole with the open side down. The box has a hole in the middle of the top for the top of the shock. The box allows for the length of the shock. Looks very neat and strong.
__________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2007
V6 JOSE V6 JOSE is offline
Gold Level Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPiz View Post
I have some pictures of this conversion unfortunately they are really bad photcopies so no good to post. It involves using a bottom mount same as S3 on the leaf spring. The top is a bit more involved!! Just behind the hood bin hinge, a square hole is cut in the floor about 4" square. An open box about 4" cubed is then welded over this hole with the open side down. The box has a hole in the middle of the top for the top of the shock. The box allows for the length of the shock. Looks very neat and strong.
No need to cut a square hole and welding in a box. I just drilled holes about where the later Alpines have them, then welded a thick washer around the hole, to stiffen the sheet metal there. The Series II that I did this too, has been handling fine for the past 12 years. it is simple and inexpensive to do. To handle the bottom of the shock, you can have a bolt welded to the lower spring plate.

Jose
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2007
JonPiz's Avatar
JonPiz JonPiz is offline
Bronze Level Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chelmsford UK
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 JOSE View Post
No need to cut a square hole and welding in a box. I just drilled holes about where the later Alpines have them, then welded a thick washer around the hole, to stiffen the sheet metal there. The Series II that I did this too, has been handling fine for the past 12 years. it is simple and inexpensive to do. To handle the bottom of the shock, you can have a bolt welded to the lower spring plate.

Jose
I'm interested in your conversion as it sounds alot easier. I guess it uses a shorter shock? Dont suppose you know which shock you used and what the max and min length is
__________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2007
V6 JOSE V6 JOSE is offline
Gold Level Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,089
Default

We used Spax shocks for a stock, later series Alpine application, so a stock shock would work fine.

The conversion kits that I have seen photos of, use a shorter shock, because they are mounted straight up and down, where the method I use, places them at an angle, like the later series Alpines have them.

Jose
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-07-2007
britbeam's Avatar
britbeam britbeam is offline
Third Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sharpsburg,Georgia
Posts: 491
Default rear shock mounting Late series Alpine

Could someone post a picture of the Later series 4/5 lower rear shock mount? Thanks
Dwain V6 Krazy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2007
V6 JOSE V6 JOSE is offline
Gold Level Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbeam View Post
Could someone post a picture of the Later series 4/5 lower rear shock mount? Thanks
Dwain V6 Krazy
Hi Dwain,

The later series mounts are welded to the rear end housing, so would be a bit difficult to do while the rear end is in the car. I would weld a piece of 3/8's steel, with a hole the same diameter as the rubber bushings for the shocks you are going to use, on an angle, to the lower spring plate.

If you use a set of Lakewood traction bars, they come with the ears already welded on, so you don't need to fuss with welding them to your lower spring plate.

Jose
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2007
britbeam's Avatar
britbeam britbeam is offline
Third Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sharpsburg,Georgia
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 JOSE View Post
Hi Dwain,

The later series mounts are welded to the rear end housing, so would be a bit difficult to do while the rear end is in the car. I would weld a piece of 3/8's steel, with a hole the same diameter as the rubber bushings for the shocks you are going to use, on an angle, to the lower spring plate.

If you use a set of Lakewood traction bars, they come with the ears already welded on, so you don't need to fuss with welding them to your lower spring plate.

Jose
Ive been checking out the Lakewood traction bars but havent found the right one with the ears welded on. If anyone has a part number for a supplier I would appreceiate it. Jose I saw where you mentioned about welding a bolt to the spring plate are we talking about two different types of shocks. Seems a bolt welded to the spring plate would be for a rod end type lower mount and a 3/8" plate on a angle for a spear type mount. Am I reading you right on this. I have found a used lever shock to install temporarly to get rid of the clunking noise of the bad shock.
Dwain V6 Krazy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright SAOCA 2009 Website powered by Subdreamer CMS & Designed by indiqo.media